With the NFL and college football seasons now in full swing, it’s time to enjoy tailgating, get-togethers and grilling. If your pet is an avid fan too and likes to be part of the action, it’s important not to give in to the temptation of throwing your pet something off the table or grill that was intended for human consumption, especially when they give you one of those looks.
For example, even though guacamole seems healthy, avocados contain a substance called persin, which isn’t harmful to humans, but large amounts can be toxic to dogs. Onions and garlic in all forms (powdered, raw, cooked) can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Fat trimmings and bones, often found in table scraps, can actually cause pancreatitis in dogs and they can choke on bones and their splinters.
So stay on the safe side and make something that the whole family can enjoy together – even the furry, fluffy members. Why not consider grilling a pet-friendly recipe like the one below?
4 SERVINGS PREP: 10 MINS COOK: 10 MINS
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or chicken
- 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (eyeball it)
- Pinch of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 small round dinner rolls, split
- Combine the meat, rice, yogurt, cumin, allspice and salt in a medium bowl. Form 4 patties and drizzle each on 1 side with EVOO. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties, olive oil side down, for 3 to 4 minutes per side for well done but still juicy. Place the burgers on the rolls, chop into pieces and serve.